Top Gun: Maverick is an upcoming American action drama film. Ehren Kruger, Eric Warren Singer, and Christopher McQuarrie penned the script based on a story by Peter Craig and Justin Marks. It's a follow-up to 1986's Top Gun. Miles Teller, Jennifer Connelly, Jon Hamm, Glen Powell, Lewis Pullman, Ed Harris, and Val Kilmer co-star alongside Tom Cruise as test pilot Maverick. The characters of Tom Cruise and Kilmer are reprised from the first film.
Top Gun: Maverick Plot
“After more than 30 years as one of the Navy's best aviators, Pete ‘Maverick‘ Mitchell is back where he belongs, pushing the envelope as a fearless test pilot while avoiding the rise in rank that would put him on the shelf,” it says.
“When Maverick finds himself training a detachment of Top Gun graduates for a specialized mission like no other, he meets Lt Bradley Bradshaw, calls sign ‘Rooster,' the son of Maverick's late friend and Radar Intercept Officer Lt Nick Bradshaw, alias ‘Goose.'
“Faced with an uncertain future and the demons of his past, Maverick is lured into a battle with his own greatest fears, culminating in a mission that requires the ultimate sacrifice from those chosen to fly it.”
Maverick's world may have altered since the first film, but expect him to continue to do daring flights, ones so large that the production had to get permission from the Navy to film one of the most daring stunts. Bruckheimer went on to say: “What's different about this film is that in the original Top Gun, we put the actors in F-14s and couldn't utilize a single frame of it, except for some shots of Tom, because they all puked.
“Their eyes roll back in their heads, which is hilarious. As a result, everything was shot on a gimbal. Tom, on the other hand, wanted to make sure that the performers could genuinely fly the F-18s in this film.” We may expect fantastic action and flying sequences that may just be worth the long wait for the sequel, as Miles Teller described the film's preparation as “Tom Cruise boot camp.”
He told Total Film, “We were all mini Toms making this movie.” “We were in excellent physical condition. It's also usually a pretty specific form of training for the stunts and everything Tom does in movies. “You aren't simply going to the gym and pushing weights. Before we started filming, we went through three months of flight instruction… We were pushed through the paces.”
Top Gun: Maverick Cast
- Tom Cruise plays Captain Pete “Maverick” Mitchell, a test pilot and flight instructor.
- Miles Teller plays Lieutenant Bradley “Rooster” Bradshaw, a pilot trainee and the son of Maverick's late RIO and best friend, Nick “Goose” Bradshaw.
- Penny Benjamin, Maverick's new love interest, is a single mother, bar owner, and the daughter of a former admiral. Jennifer Connelly plays her.
- Vice Admiral Cyclone is played by Jon Hamm.
- Lieutenant Hangman, a pilot trainee, is played by Glen Powell.
- Lieutenant Bob Floyd is played by Lewis Pullman, a pilot student is played by Ed Harris, and Maverick's supervisor is played by Val Kilmer. Tom “Iceman” Kazansky is the commander of the United States Pacific Fleet and a fellow instructor and former adversary of Maverick.
- Lieutenant Natasha “Phoenix” Trace, a pilot student, is played by Monica Barbaro.
- Rear Admiral Warlock is played by Charles Parnell.
- Lieutenant Fanboy, Payback's WSO, Danny Ramirez
- Fritz is played by Manny Jacinto.
- Coleman is played by Bashir Salahuddin.
- Lieutenant Reuben “Payback” Fitch is played by Jay Ellis.
- Jake Selecting Raymond Lee is a well-known figure in the Amelia Benjamin, Penny's daughter Jean, is played by Lyliana Wray.
- Carole Bradshaw, Nick “Goose” Bradshaw's widow and mother of Rooster, is played by Louisa Kelly. She was formerly played by Meg Ryan in the first film.
- Lieutenant Coyote is played by Greg Tarzan Davis.
- General Edward Clayton of the United States Air Force, played by Bob Stephenson. He is the chairman of the
- Joint Chiefs of Staff and a four-star general.
- Chelsea Harris will serve as a Flag Aide. Burke, Angela
Top Gun: Maverick Release Date
Top Gun: Maverick film will have its global premiere at CinemaCon on April 28, 2022, before being released theatrically in the United States by Paramount Pictures on May 27, 2022. It was supposed to be released on July 12, 2019, but it was pushed back to “enable the production to figure out all of the intricate flight sequences.” The COVID-19 outbreak and scheduling issues added to the film's delay.
On May 4, a global premiere will take place aboard a retired aircraft carrier in San Diego, California. It will also have an Official Selection Screening at the Cannes Film Festival on May 18. A tribute to Cruise and his achievements will be shown at the Cannes premiere. The film's distribution rights were offered to Netflix and Apple TV+, but Paramount refused to sell them.
After what has felt like an eternity of delays for even the most patient of fans, Top Gun 2, called Top Gun: Maverick, is almost here. The sequel was originally scheduled to arrive in theatres in July 2019, but it now appears that it will arrive in May 2022. Don't worry, when we typed that, we crossed every digit and touched every piece of wood in the room.
On March 29, 2022, Paramount produced a new trailer for the film to promote its release, so we'd like to think it means there won't be another delay. Don't worry, since star Jon Hamm promised in September 2020 that it would be worth the wait and that it will be “everything you hope it will be.” Fans of Top Gun, on the other hand, will be the ones to decide.