A year ago, any person saying that there will be no fans allowed inside the arena would sound so ridiculous, but amidst the global coronavirus pandemic, the idea of having hundreds to thousands of people so close in a stadium would be a violation of health protocols.
Human as we are, we need to have entertainment which is deemed as a necessity of life. It can be achieved through different forms, especially now that the internet has given us access to quick communication, music albums at our fingertips, and most especially, watching shows with endless reruns.
Now that a year has passed since country-wide lockdowns, sports fans have learned to adapt and find new ways to enjoy the game even if they are not sitting in front of their favorite athletic team.
Gambling has been an ancient form of entertainment for our ancestors. This can be done through a simple game of rolling dice, flipping a coin, or even a card game. Subsequently being hit by a global pandemic, gambling has now evolved to sports betting. This seems like the safest method enjoyed by sports followers all around the world.
Sports betting not only promotes camaraderie between friends and those who share the same interest, but it has also been observed to enliven boring matches by offering another approach of betting via a point system or player-specific winning moves.
It’s about time that legal sports betting is increasingly becoming common; there are still many athletic competitions that are deemed illegal to bet on but can be done through bookmakers, sometimes called bookies. Internet betting sites, which are legal in most countries, are becoming a prevalent platform for amusement.
Centuries have passed, there were numerous resistances to sports gambling, now team owners and state officials are creating the groundwork for it. Sports betting has been rocketed by the internet and social media platforms.
Sports teams in different leagues have transitioned into big data generating companies having statistics as necessary for scores made individually by a player and as a team. This means that betting doesn’t only indicate that you have loyalty to that team because they represent your state or school. This can only signify that you also have to reconsider each player’s ranking and team composition to ensure that placing a bet on them would be a profitable cause.
For some countries that put sports betting as illegal, sports enthusiasts go online. Businesses early on have forecasted that the future is going mobile. They have prepared online sports betting platforms, starting with fantasy football and basketball leagues where you can draft and trade your players with friends and other sports enthusiasts.
These are examples of famous sports that are now big on online betting platforms:
- Basketball is the second most popular betting game next to the NFL. They offer a wide array of programs and shows which are enjoyed not only by Americans but all over the world.
- College Basketball is the national competition for college-level athletes. This month is held as March Madness, where different teams battle to become the national champion. These varsity teams have trained despite the pandemic to increase their NCAA tournament odds page and reach the top.
- Ice Hockey this game is filled with fast-paced action and has been famous for American and Canadian bettors.
- Baseball season starts in spring with numerous MLB betting strategy articles available online; beginners can easily understand and join in.
- Soccer is emerging as one of the major sports in the US but overseas, the UEFA Champions League and English Premier League dominate the betting markets.
- E-sports has only been recently announced to be part of the sports category, but this has turned to be one of the most profitable ones. Numerous platforms like Twitch, YouTube, and Facebook gaming have become the go-to site for gamers to earn from views. Tournaments can reach up to a million dollars in a prize pool enjoined by gamers worldwide.
- Football is undoubtedly the most popular sport in the US but also betting games. NFL games have a huge range for markets, from prop bets for beginners down to the over/under touchdowns market.
- Tennis has Wimbledon, French, and the US Open, which gives a variety of options for bettors. The outcome has made everyone curious to predict since factors such as clay, glass, carpet surfaces are part of the data that bettors rely on to give a confident bet.
- Golf has year-round, major competitions. Bettors can give their all to outright winners and scoring records down to having someone make a hole in one.
There are still many more sports games that are being developed to be catered to by online betting platforms.
We are still far from going back to normal despite the vaccine rollouts being done by every country. The old normal might also seem like just a memory, but that doesn’t mean that we will not adapt. We have found ways to change our daily routine, be it for school, work, and even to socialize. Everyone will still enjoy sports and fitness through whatever means necessary.