A movie from Baz Luhrmann's world is about to be made about Elvis's life. Fans and family members are already talking about the movie, in which Austin Butler plays the main character, and Tom Hanks plays his manager Colonel Tom Parker.
We know a lot about the famous Elvis Presley, but what do we know about the upcoming movie about his life? Find out what we know about the film, such as when it will come out and who will play the leading roles.
When Does the Movie About Elvis Come Out?
Warner Bros. Pictures plans to put the Elvis movie in theatres on June 24, 2022.
Who Is in the Movie About Elvis?
Austin Butler will play Elvis Presley in the new movie, and Tom Hanks will play Colonel Tom Parker. Helen Thomson plays Gladys, Elvis's mother, and Richard Roxburgh plays Vernon, Elvis's father. Olivia DeJonge is Priscilla Presley.
Yola plays Sister Rosetta Tharpe, Luke Bracey plays Jerry Schilling, Natasha Bassett plays Dixie Locke, Hank Snow is played by David Wenham, B.B. Kelvin Harrison Jr. plays King, Xavier Samuel plays Scotty Moore, and Kodi Smit-McPhee plays Jimmie Rodgers Snow.
Aussie actors Leon Ford as Tom Diskin, Kate Mulvany as Marion Keisker, Gareth Davies as Bones Howe, Charles Grounds as Billy Smith, Josh McConville as Sam Phillips, and Adam Dunn as Bill Black are also in the cast. Dacre Montgomery plays TV director Steve Binder.
What Music Is in the Elvis Movie?
The track list for the Elvis soundtrack has been released, and it includes songs by Eminem and CeeLo Green, Jack White, Kacey Musgraves, Tame Impala, and others. If I Can Dream by Maneskin was already set to be on the original soundtrack for the movie. Doja Cat is also going to be on the soundtrack.
What's the Deal With Elvis?
From a press release, we know: “This movie looks at Elvis Presley's (Butler) life and music through the complicated relationship he had with his mysterious manager, Colonel Tom Parker (Hanks).
The story looks at the complicated relationship between Elvis Presley and Colonel Tom Parker over 20 years, from Presley's rise to fame to his unprecedented stardom, against the backdrop of America's changing culture and loss of innocence. Priscilla Presley, played by Olivia DeJonge, is one of the most important and influential people in Elvis's life, and she is at the centre of this journey.”
So Far, What has People said About the Movie Elvis?
- Lisa Marie Presley, Elvis's daughter, said the movie was “exquisite,” She added, “It breaks my heart that my son isn't here to see it.”
- Benjamin Keough, her 27-year-old son, was thought to have killed himself in July 2022.
- She posted this on Instagram: “Hello everyone,
- “I haven't posted because there isn't much to say. I'm still sad about my son's death and always will be. Getting through this horrible grief, which has almost destroyed and shattered my heart and soul, has eaten me up.
- “I don't have time or attention for much else besides my other three children.
I want to tell you that I have seen Baz Luhrmann's movie “Elvis” twice now, and I can tell you that it is nothing short of amazing. Exquisite.”
- She also: “Austin Butler did a beautiful job of channelling and embodying my father's heart and soul.
- His performance is the best and most respectful I've ever seen.
(I'll eat my foot if he doesn't get an Oscar for this, haha.)
- “Throughout this beautiful film, you can feel and see Baz's pure love, care, and respect for my father.
- It is finally something that I, my children, and their children can be proud of for the rest of our lives.
- What also made me cry was seeing Riley, Harper, and Finley afterwards.
- They were all visibly moved in the best way possible, and they were so proud of their grandfather and what he left behind in a way I had never seen before.
- “My heart hurts because my son isn't here to see it. He also would have loved it very much.
- I can't say enough good things about this movie, and I hope you do too.
- Everyone who worked on it put their hearts and souls into it, and their performances show that.
- Baz, this project is so beautiful and inspiring. It shows how much you love and respect my father and how smart you are.
- I know I'm repeating myself, but I don't care. Thank you for setting the record straight in such a profound and artistic way.”
This Is Luhrmann's First Full-length Movie Since “the Great Gatsby” in 2013
Luhrmann has also directed “Australia” (2008), “Moulin Rouge!” (2001), “Romeo + Juliet” (1996), and “Strictly Ballroom” (1992), as well as “The Get Down,” a Netflix series. He said in 2014 that he wanted to make a movie about Elvis Presley's life, so this one has been coming long.
The Film Will Show How Elvis' Fame Caused a Stir in Society
Elvis was a big deal in the 1950s, 1960s, and 1970s. His music came from Black gospel church music. The movie is mainly about Elvis's life, but it also shows what was happening in society at the time. When Elvis was a young boy, Black church gospel music significantly impacted him.
A considerable debate about the hip-swayer is whether or not he made Blackness stronger through his performance or just took it for himself. In the background of the movie, the Civil Rights movement is going on.
Butler Gave the Role Everything He Had
In a recent interview with GQ, Austin Butler talked about how he had done much research on Elvis. When filming was done in 2021, Butler saw how challenging the role had been on his body. He woke up in pain the following day and was immediately taken to the hospital. He was later told he had a virus that looked like appendicitis and had to stay in bed for a week.
Yes, Austin Butler's singing is excellent… Part of the movie “Elvis” was about the music, and Butler said, “When I started working on this, I wanted my voice to sound exactly like his.” So you'll hear Butler's voice on Elvis's early songs. But as Elvis got older and started recording his most famous songs, Luhrmann mixed Butler's singer with Presley's voice to make a mix of the two.
Harry Styles Wanted to Play Elvis a Lot
Baz Luhrmann told Sydney's Nova's Fitzy & Wippa why he didn't think Styles would be a good fit for the Part that went to Butler. Luhrmann didn't look at Styles or Butler's auditions, but he gave them workshops to help them develop character.
He said, “Harry is an actor with a lot of skill.” “I would work with him on something…” but “Harry's real problem is that he's Harry Styles.” He is already famous.”